Are you a working mom? Then you’re considered a modern-day hero. Today, women are no longer confined to old norms. We no longer see them as stay-at-home moms with stereotyped tasks. In the past, we define motherhood whose lifelong goals are to take care of the children and do household chores alone. However, women around the globe fought for the freedom we have today. They now embrace the world of professionals to contribute to our economy. Also, they prove that they can still compete in the job market. But still, many people have mixed feelings about this subject. Some believe that mothers should stay at home and tend to their child/children’s needs. While others say, “You go, Momma!” What then are the pros and cons of being a working mom?
To fully understand the issue, here are pros and cons of being a working mom.
What are the Advantages of Being a Working Mom?
- Positive Role Models– You inspire your daughter to think of having a fruitful career in the future and not just grow up, get married, and have kids. Hence, their children, especially daughters, grow with a strong mindset to dream more.
- Raise Independent Children– You teach your children to become responsible and independent in doing household chores at an early age. Also, working moms teach different values to help their kids have integrity and ethics.
- Less Prone to Depression– According to Robert Locke, health expert and contributor in Lifehack, stay-at-home mothers are likely to suffer from depression. In turn, affects children as they grow up. So, it’s a good thing that you can fight depression and anxiety in their own way.
- More Quality Time with Their Children– Working mothers mostly switch off their devices the moment they get home to spend time with their children. Yes, it’s an advantage because you focus more on watching their kids grow and have quality time with their partner.
- Happier Relationships– Many working wives have stronger relationships with their spouses. Since you know how to manage your priorities and value efforts, you appreciate your partner more. You’re also always ready to take care of their needs, which is a win-win. Because when you attend to your spouse, you feel happier since this makes you view yourself as a positive light. This in turn calms you down and reduce your stress.
- Independent– Single working moms don’t need a man to fulfill her and her child’s necessities; you can provide for their every need. You’re one strong independent woman!
- Get Their Children Extra Facilities– Working wives support their husbands in financial matters, which provides your children with better facilities. With this, you provide better quality life for your family.
- Show More Love to Their Children– This is what working moms do; love their children unconditionally. You are eager to go home from work to spend time with your children, making them more affectionate and loving.
What are the Disadvantages of Being a Working Mom?
- Always Tired– As a working mom’s life it’s like having two jobs without extra pay. You work 9 hours, suffer through the traffic while driving home, and go home to restless children who need attention.
- Prone to Health Issues– What happens when you involve working mothers with stress? Health issues. Having the same daily routine with little or no rest can put a mother’s health at risk, which can result in more problems.
- Children are Left Alone or with Bad Company– Children who lack a mother’s guidance are prone to falling in bad cliques. This is especially true when you don’t spend quality time with them.
- Unable to Attend Important School Meetings– Their unavailability to attend significant school events like “Family Day” can cause inferiority to both mother and child.
- Miss Out– Some working moms miss out on the opportunity to witness their child’s first word, first step, and other once-in-a-lifetime moments. Thus, it’s a drawback that a working mom faces supporting her family.
Reasons Why Working Moms are Happier
Who says working moms can’t have it all? Being a full-time working mom gives you a better sense of purpose and independence, allows you to maintain your sense of self, have more financial control, you maintain stronger relationships, you become a role model for your kids, and promote equality in your marriage.
It would be normal to think that working moms aren’t satisfied with their quality of life. Because when they’re not at home to rest, they’re at work to earn for their family. As a career mom, do you feel the same? Do you go off on a wishful thinking spree and think how different your life would be if you just stayed at home at spent time with your family instead? Take heart! A study by Journal of Family Pyschology in the U.S. found that mothers who are working (full time or part-time) are less depressed and have better health than those who don’t. One of the major stay at home parent disadvantages is the feeling of being trapped and loss of significance. This is why many stay at home parents are unsatisfied with their quality of life.
Working Mom tips for a Better Work-Life Balance
- Accept help whenever you can get it.
From babysitting, cleaning the house, cooking dinner, or even doing the laundry. Let go of the guilt whenever you ask for help. Your family, friends, and colleagues are happy to help you.
- Keep supportive people in your life.
Supportive people provide emotional help during stressful times. They can help you see the brighter side of things, and give you great advice. Find people who will walk through thick and thin with you.
- Learn self-care.
Don’t forget to take care of yourself. Meditate, exercise, go shopping, get your hair and nails done, or get a massage. Self-care helps us become less susceptible to depression, anxiety, stress, and other emotional health issues.
- Make mornings easier.
Organize your chores the night before. You can avoid a frenzied morning by doing this. Pack your kids’ lunches, iron their clothes, and decide what you want to make for breakfast. Doing these will allow you to spend more time with your family. Besides, what’s a better way to start the day than sharing laughter with your loved ones?
- Limit distractions.
Children are dependent on their parent’s attention. Their emotional development and well-being depend on how much time you spend with them. So discipline yourself and set a time limit when checking your phone or watching TV.
Are you a stay-at-home mom who desires to achieve more in life? Perhaps you are looking for great career opportunities to support your family. We’ve got the best articles, career tips, job hunting advice, and resume writing guides to help you. Browse through our list of blogs and you find what you need!